13th of January

Due to the previous heat wave, I slept past my alarm and didn’t get in to uni until about 11 am. There are a couple of hours missing, since I didn’t want to take a break writing it up, and never got around to it that night or the next day.

An aside, I got close to having a working gentoo arm system setup on the machine, could run busybox and bzip2, I produced a 1.9GiB file from /dev/urandom, so the compressor would be put through its paces trying its best to compress random data. At first i mucked up and accidentally used /dev/zero by accident which results in, not a lot of work load. The test lasted for approximately 70 minutes, with the Augmented Qemu taking about 5 minutes slower. Both were run against the same data.

The specific results for this run was:

	[donno@qcore1 Tests]$ time qemu-arm -L /opt/gentoo64/usr/armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/ bzip2 -9 compressimage.bin
	real	73m35.599s,	user	72m57.410s	sys	0m9.324s
	[donno@qcore1 Tests]$ time ~/Research/qemu-async-llvm/arm-linux-user/qemu-arm -d in_asm \
		-L /opt/gentoo64/usr/armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/ bzip2 -9  compressimage.llvm.bin
	cpu_loop called, instantiating LLVM thread...
	real	78m31.286s	user	77m41.695s	sys	0m8.332s

Andrew recommended cscope which is kinda like grep but with C/C++ specifics, so I installed that on both machines, but didn’t set it up.

Next I setup a branch of ‘qemu-async-llvm’ on gitorious.com, where Joel, had already created a project, and uploaded Andrew’s work so far.

Ended the day with installing three different C/C++ for Linux, to see which will provide a better environment then terminal for make and scripts and gedit and started the download for the spec benchmarks going only to have it fail at 1 am, whilst i was sleeping.

Advertisements